There’s no denying that cloud adoption is accelerating at exponential rates, and as that trend takes hold across industries and across the globe, increasing attention is being focused on the strategic importance of cloud resource optimization. GigaOm’s latest Cloud Resource Optimization Radar Report highlights why organizations should consider optimization as a strategic priority from day 1, rather than something to consider as an afterthought.
In order to maximize cloud performance, organizations are increasingly turning to cloud resource optimization solutions to analyze, automate, and optimize their cloud investments. In the report, GigaOm frames the challenge clearly.
“…as the growth of cloud usage continues to outpace the rate at which IT operational analysts can be hired, automated optimization of these resources impacts the direct bottom-line of the cloud bill and the effectiveness of existing IT staff (who are freed up to work on higher-value business objectives).”
GigaOm evaluated a number of vendors based on their ability to analyze and optimize cloud resources. Vendors were assessed on their features and functionality along with the various requirements of different types of organizations based on their cloud footprint. Spot by NetApp was the only vendor to stand out as an ‘Outperformer’ in the GigaOm Radar report.
- The most valuable cloud resource management solutions provide effective and reliable resource configuration recommendations and integrate into deployment pipelines and change management processes.
- The growth of cloud usage continues to outpace the rate at which IT operational analysts can be hired, automated optimization of these resources impacts the direct bottom-line of the cloud bill and the effectiveness of existing IT staff.
- If you’re an organization born in the cloud or focused on cloud-only workloads, consider moving to a provider that manages the complexity of automation for you.
- Companies should avoid analyzing resource use without a specific goal in mind. Align the metrics to a business outcome or focus on costs, and then consider whether the effort on automation is worth the savings.
In evaluating Spot’s solutions, GigaOm highlighted the following aspects:
- Spot’s pricing model guarantees savings, while SLAs ensure that applications will achieve the performance they require.
- Spot has recently acquired CloudCheckr, which provides cloud visibility, cost optimization, cost allocation, security and compliance, and resource management capabilities.
- Spot pricing has always been radically different from others in this category. Spot’s automated optimization products are priced based on percentage of your savings.
- Spot scored highest across the evaluation criteria of scalability, usability, and ROI.
As cloud adoption surges it is more important than ever for organizations of all sizes to be thinking about resource optimization as complexity and runaway costs can overtake even the best cloud strategy. Every organization’s cloud footprint is unique, and special consideration should be given to the balance of performance and cost to ensure resources are fully maximized. Spot continues to innovate and bring new solutions to the market that help our customers accelerate cloud performance, making continuous optimization a reality for thousands of organizations. We’d love a chance to show you how we do it!